The UCLA Women in Physics & Astronomy (WiPA = whip-ah!) group was created by graduate students in the UCLA Physics & Astronomy Department to bring women in science and their allies together to share ideas, advice, and experiences.
- Join us for our monthly WiPA Teas, supported by the UCLA Bhaumik Institue. Dates can be found on our calendar page.
Your ideas here!! If you're a UCLA physics & astronomy grad or undergrad and have ideas about community events you would like to see in the department, please contact us!You can also join our facebook group and mailing list to stay connected.
2018-2019 event highlights:
- Monthly Coffee & Tea Socials!
- Q&A with female Physics & Astronomy Colloquium speakers
- Panel discussion with UCLA faculty and post-docs on careers in STEM
- Graduate-Undergraduate Mentorship Program
- Panel discussion on applying to grad school
It has been a productive two years for WiPA as we planned and hosted the 2017 Conference for Undergraduate Women in Physics at UCLA (CUWiP@UCLA). We accomplished a lot and strengthened the relationship between graduate and undergraduate women in our P&A community.
Now WiPA is excited to refocus on our graduate and undergraduate community. We have found that ultimately it's the students who shape and change our department. Contact us if this is you and you're interested in getting involved!
You can also read up about CUWiP from the American Physical Society here. The conference is free for participants and hosted annually, so tell your friends and apply if you're an undergrad! If you're a grad student from another institution, consider asking your university to host.